Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Therapy Cont...


Soooo... Since last time my son has had two therapy sessions and so far so good. I bought a couple of books on sensory processing disorder and I found out a lot more then I was being told. Basically it's like my sons senses are a bucket... a very large bucket. Everyone has a bucket, but my son's bucket is a little bigger then most. The bucket needs be filled and it's lack of fulfillment is what creates this disorder. A normal bucket needs a certain amount of stimulation for it to function properly, while my sons bucket needs extra stimulation (i.e. more touch, smell, and taste, etc.) in order for it to function properly. The lack of the full bucket causes him to be what is referred to as a "sensory seeker," like putting lots of different objects in his mouth to identify what it is and staring closely at certain objects to identify what it may be. Having sensory processing disorder may disrupt his life forever, but as long as I create new things and get him up and running on a daily basis, he may live a life most people only dream of (having a deeper appreciation of the world around him).

No comments:

Post a Comment